Shivpuri is a fascinating city located amidst Vindhyachal ranges It is a famous tourist place ,120 km from Gwalior on Agra –Bombay National Highway. The ancient name of Shivpuri was Sipari. Evidences of pre-historic period and rock shelters are available in the district. The territory came under the rule of the Nandas and Mauryas. Later it was
under the rule of Nagas of Pawaya. Samudra gupta captured the area defeating the Nagas. A stone inscription of Gupta period has been found in the National Park. The rule of Pratihara dynasty was established in this area . The sun temple at Sesai was built during his period. Kachchhapaghatas possessed the Narwar fort by defeating the Pratiharas in 977 AD.
Shiva temples Chorpura, Jaiti ka Math, Pipardhar and temples of Tngara are important monuments of this period. Later it came under Khilji dynasty The Tomars of Gwalior ruled over this territory for 100 years. In the 17th century AD, it was granted as a jagir to Kachchhapaghat of Narwar again. In 1804 AD. the Scindias established their rule here. It came under the British rule in 1860 AD.
Travelogues/Travel Logs of Roadtrips
Hit the road with the summary guides of our trips to various places in India. Any information feel free to drop a mail at email@example.com
Get online driving directions, route guides, weekend planners, and customised itineries. Check out a few of our favorite user road trips, then start an adventure of your own.....Explore India by Road
The castle was built by Jiyaji Rao Scindia of the Gwalior royal family for an overnight halt for tiger shooting by the British King George V, during his planned visit to India in 1911. The George Castle was built at a height of 484m (1597 feet).
Madhav Vilas Palace
This is the summer palace of the Scindias. “Mahal” as it is popularly known has marble floors, elegant terraces and a Ganapati Mandap. From the turrets, one can get a splendid view of Shivpuri City and Madhav National Park. It has now been converted into a training center of Intelligence Bureau of the Government of India.
The Museum has a huge collection of statues of archaeological importance. The collections include the elements from excavations in and around Shivpuri which points out to the prominence of Jain culture in the olden days. The Museum is under renovation by the ASI.
Image - harshitmadhyapradesh.in
The fauna of the forest includes Nilgai, Chinkara, Chowsingha, deer, Chital, Sambar and Barking Deer.Madhav National Park The Park was the hunting ground of Mughal emperors and Maharaja of Gwalior.
The Park is gifted with a diverse ecosystem with lakes, forests and grasslands. There are number of small and big rivulets which enrich the Sakhya Sagar lake. The park has Northern Tropical Dry Deciduous Mixed and Dry Thorny Forests. The fauna of the forest includes Nilgai, Chinkara, Chowsingha, deer, Chital, Sambar and Barking Deer.
The Park was the hunting ground of Mughal emperors and Maharaja of Gwalior. The Park is gifted with a diverse ecosystem with lakes, forests and grasslands. There are number of small and big rivulets which enrich the Sakhya Sagar lake (Picture 1-6). The park has Northern Tropical Dry Deciduous Mixed and Dry Thorny Forests.
The fort is built irregular in plan and is spread over an area of 8 kms. The entire area is enclosed by the main fortification wall which has been divided in to four sectors by walls well defended by bastions at regular interval. The enclosures are called Majlok, Dulha-Ahata, Madar-Ahata, Gujar-Ahara, The Majlok-Ahata was built by Kachhawaha ruler in 16- 17th century. Contribution made by different ruler to the fort are the Mosque, Chhip mahal, Tomb of Madarshah, Roman Catholic Chapel, Markardhwaj lake, Chhakki Mahal, Fulwa Mahal, Kachehari Mahal etc.
Sesai is situated 12 kms. from Shivpuri on A.B. road. The west facing temple is raised on a plat form built a Panchrath plan and it has garbhagraha, antaral & mukhmandapa based on two pillers .The lintel is occupied by Sun (Surya) image seated on a chariot drawn by the seven horses. Besides Narvagrahas are carved. On the basis of architecture and th iconography, the temple can be ascribed to 10 century AD. It was built by Pratihara rulers.
It is 35 km from Shivpuri on Shivpuri-Sheopur road. There stands a three-storeyed square Haveli in the southern end of Pohari fort. Its main entrance gate is to the north and its arched door is very beautiful. A chhatri based on 12 pillars is built on the gate where the ruler used to sit. Inside the palace there is an open courtyard, on both sides of which a two-storeyed pillared baradari is built.
This temple is 30 kms from Shivpuri. The enormous temple is built in the centre of a lake at Pohari tehsil headquarters, hence it is called Jal Mandir. In fact, it is dedicated to Radha-Krishna. This I9th century A.D. temple has a shikhar and chhatris.
The Garhi is situated about 20 km from Shivpuri- Jhansi road. The remains of the garhi or fortress suggest that it was built by Kachhawaha rulers of Narwar. It was snatched by the rulers of Jajpel dynasty from the Kachhawahas. An inscription of Samvat 1341 in the step-well inside the fortress names it Saraswati Pattan. The step-well was built
by a person named Budhiman. Subsequently, it came to be called Surwaya. The Math and temples are about 500 years older than the fortress.
This Waterfall is situated about 3km from Shivpuri. A scenic Picnic spot by a natural spring .The water here is rich in minerals, Supposedly of a curative nature.