10 Best Beaches of India
1. Palolem beach, GoaLocated in Canacona, South Goa, Palolem beach is nearly 1.5 kms long in a crescent shape. Beach shacks serving a lot variety of dishes, this quiet secluded beach was once the haunt of gypsies in the 80's.
2. Kovalam Beach, KeralaKovalam beach is by the Arabian Sea in Thiruvananthapuram city in Kerala. It is 16 kms long and The name means a grove of coconut trees, the beach has 3 merged into one namely the light house beach, Hawah beach and the Samudra beach.
3. Agonda beach, GoaLocated in Canacona, South Goa, Agonda beach is a nice place for sunbathing, relaxing and swimming. Palolem beach is just 15 minutes from here. Agonda beach is the enangeredOlive Ridley turtle nesting site. Cabo de Rama is a nearby village which has an old Portuguese fort. Its a quiet beach.
4. St Mary's Island, KarnatakaAlso known as the coconut island it is a set of four small islands in the Arabian sea located in Udupi, Managlore. The columnar basaltic lava rocks is the chief attraction here formed millions of years ago by volcanic activities. Vasco da Gama is beieved to have set foot here on his voyage and gave the name of Mother Mary to these islands.
5. Havelock Islands, Andaman & Nicobar IslandsHavelock is one of the largest islands in the group of islands in the Bay of Bengal and is 55 kms away from Port Blair(the capital city). Elephants are used to entertain tourists on some beaches here. It was judged one of the best beach by Time 2004.
6. Jallandhar beach in Diu1 km from Diu town, Jallandhar beach has a shrine of Lord Krishna on a small hillock. It is less crowded and has oppurtunities for water sports besides swimming.
7. Gokarna, KarnatakaGokarna in Uttara Kannada is a Hindu pilgrimage centre as well as a tourist destination. Gokarna has a series of beaches apart from itself, Main Beach, Kuddle Beach, Om Beach, Half moon Beach and Paradise Beach.
8. Varkala, KeralaAlso known as Papanasam beach, Varkala beach is formed as a part of Arabian sea and Indian ocean. A dip here is said to wash away all your sins. Its the best place for sun-bathing and swimming. The cliffs found around the beach are the source of water spouts and spa.
9. Alibaug beach, in MaharashtraLocated in the Raigad district of the Konkan region Alibaug is clean with less crowds.