Top beautiful lakes in Himalayas India
1. Dodital lake in Uttarakhand22kms trek from Sangam chatti in Uttarakhand
Dodital is a freshwater lake. 21 km trek to Dodital.Lord Ganesha chose this place as his abode. There is a temple devoted to Lord Ganesha here. The Dodital Trek is a bird watchers paradise.
2. Gurudongmar lake in Sikkim190 kms from Gangtok in Sikkim
One of the highest lakes in the world, located at an altitude of 17,800 ft in Sikkim. It is frozen during winter months. Located at about 5 kilometres to the south of the Chinese border.
3. Tsomgo lake in Sikkim40 kms from Gangtok in Sikkim
The lake is frozen in winter. There is also a small Shiva temple on the bank of the lake. The lake is located in a restricted area so a permit is necessary.The Chinese border crossing is only 5-6 kilometres, 20 kms by road. The changing colours of the lake with the change in seasons is the beauty.
4. Prashar lake in Himachal Pradesh50 kms from Mandi in Himachal Pradesh
The lake has a pagoda shaped temple on its banks dedicated to the sage Prashar. The deep blue water, the temple and the sorrounding snowcapped peaks are the attractions of the place. The lake has a floating island in it.
5. Roopkund lake in Uttarakhand23 kms after the last motorable point in Uttarakhand
The lake is famous for the hundreds of human skeletons found at the edge of the lake. A very popular trekking destination, the shallow lake has the human skeletal remains that are visible at its bottom when the snow melts.
6. Seshnag lake in Kashmir22kms from Pahalgam in Kashmir
It lies on the track of Amarnath cave. It freezes during winter, and is inaccessible during this season due to heavy snowfall. It is surrounded by green lush meadows and mountains covered by snow. Sheshnag means the king of snakes. It is believed by the Hindus that Sheshnag stays in this Lake even today.
7. Pangong lake in Kashmir170 kms from Leh
It extends from India to China. Approximately 60% of the length of the lake lies in China. During winter the lake freezes completely, despite being saline water Guides report that there are no fish or other aquatic life in the lake. An Inner Line Permit is reqd.
8. Tsomoriri lake in Kashmir240kms from Leh
Known as the Lake of the Sun God, and lies just below the Bara-lacha-la pass. It is a third highest lake in India
9. Chandratal in Himachal14kms motorable road from Batal
Its a crescent shape lake. Chandra Taal is a popular destination for trekkers and campers. During springtime, these meadows are carpeted with hundreds of kinds of wildflowers.
10. Surajtal lake65kms from Keylong in Himachal
Also known as the Lake of the Sun God, the lake lies just below the Bara-lacha-la pass. It is a third highest lake in India